West Kent Mediation (WKM) service has released a Top Ten Tips list to avoid neighbourhood disputes this summer.
As BBQ & holiday season gets under way, WKM’s realistic and practical tips amassed from 20 years of service to West Kent communities, offer a diplomatic alternative to the many complaints made about nuisance neighbours each year.
WKM’s Top Ten Tips to Deter Disputes
- Before you decide to have a party or BBQ that may be noisy or affect your neighbours in any way – let them know in advance, apologise for any inconvenience and ask if this will cause them any specific problems
- Ask your children to consider their neighbours whilst playing outside
- Look after the outside of your home – rotting rubbish is unpleasant for neighbours
- Keep trees and hedges regularly trimmed and in good condition
- Be considerate over parking on public roads
- If you have a dog, try not to let it bark for long periods of time, and clean up after your pets in communal areas
- Position speakers away from shared walls and try to use your appliances during the day
- When you move into a new neighbourhood, introduce yourself to your neighbours – perhaps offer and accept assistance
- Find and discuss common interests
- Remember we are all different and celebrate that. Life would be boring without it!!
Amanda Bell, WKM CEO said:
“It’s a good idea to develop a dialogue with your neighbours, so that if difficulties arise, it won’t be the first time you’ve spoken to them. But if a problem occurs that you cannot seem to solve mediation offers options through independent, impartial and open communication.”